The department of Economics came into existence in 1968 with BA Degree course in Economics.Prof.P.Prabhakaran Nair was the first Head of the Department. The Department was enriched by former heads like Dr. G. Krishnan Kutty, Prof. K.Geetha, Prof.K.Mahadevan Pillai and Prof. G. Radhakrishnan. PG course was started in 1999.At present the faculty consists of 8 teachers(three permanent and five guests).The sanctioned strength of UG is 50 and PG is 12.K.V.Mohankumar,District Collector,Palakkad ,Dr.Tharakan George, Joint director, Rubber Research Institute ,Kottayam, A.Chandrasekharan, Senior Manager , Vijaya Bank, Martin K.J, Assistant Professor, Maharajas College and Dr.N.Madhava Menon,current Head of the department are some of the prominent alumni of the Department.Dr.N.Madhava Menon is offering consultancy on technology related to coir industry. He is a research guide in the MG University, Kottayam. Moreover he is a PG board member,MG University and UG board member , Kerala University. Department is conducting training in Computer Applications and Communication skills for Ist year and IInd year BA Economics students. During the final year they have the option to undergo a certificate course in Financial Markets. These courses are conducted as add- on courses and the department will issue certificates to those who successfully complete the same. The Department offers career counseling to final year students of both UG and PG.The Department of Economics had organized one National seminar and three UGC sponsored State level seminars.
Research: The details of the completed and ongoing research-projects and publications produced by the faculty of the department is listed here.
|Dr. G.V. Raji Prasad
Asst. Professor & Head
|MA, M.Phil, NETfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MA, MPhil, NETemail@example.com|
|Vishnu P. S.
|Arathy S. Nair
|Preeti S Prasad
- Unitized Syllabi and rigorous curricular transaction based on teaching plan and academic calendar.
- Seminars, workshops, field study, visit to orphanages, remand homes or old-age homes to inculcate human values
- Additional course programmes like certificate course in financial markets to make the existing UG course value-added.
- Motivation for advanced learners to develop a few transferrable skills at a higher level and opportunities for its demonstration
- Conduct of remedial programmes for slow learners
- Conduct of outreach programmes for the higher secondary teachers and students.